Tuesday, September 13, 2005

John Squared

That’s what I’m affectionately calling the concert last night. John Fogerty and John Mellencamp. Fogerty was up first, and he was absolutely AMAZING. He sounded good, he looked good .. he had a ton of energy and you could tell he genuinely loved doing what he was doing. He played tons of CCR classics, and played Centerfield – and had this really cool bat shaped guitar when he did it. . . he’s one hell of a guitar player. And then it was time for Mellencamp … I’ve been a John Mellencamp fan for as long as I can remember. When my parents got divorced and my mom and I moved to Missouri, we had American Fool on vinyl (yes, that makes me officially old) … of course that was in his Johnny Cougar days … he played songs off that Album (Jack & Diane, Hurts so good) … and a ton of other stuff spanning his career. He and Fogerty teamed up on Green River, and then Rain on the Scarecrow. I’d seen Mellencamp before in the POURING rain (which he referenced during the show) … and he was good then, but the weather sucked, and we had to leave … this time it was SO much better. I mean I really couldn’t believe how amazing the concert was. I’ve seen some pretty big names (U2, the Eagles, KISS) … and this was right up there with those concerts. . . I’ll leave you with the words to one of the songs that Mellencamp sang … it was from “Whenever we wanted” … so it’s like 10-15 years old .. but if you read the lyrics, he could have written it yesterday, and it still is relevant


Love & Happiness


Well we´re dropping our bombs
In the southern hemisphere
And people are starving
That live right here
And they´re tearing down walls
In the name of peace
And they´re killing each other
In the middle east

Chorus:
But love and happiness
Have forgotten our names
And there´s no value left
In love and happiness

They raise the price of oil
And they censor our mouths
If you are a young couple today
Forget buying a house
And we wage our wars
In the neighbourhoods
We kill the young to feed the old
And men that ain´t no good

Chorus:
Yeah, but love and happiness
Have forgotten our names
And there´s no value left
In love and happiness

So if you sell arms
Or if you run dope
You got respect
And you got hope
But the rest of us die
On your battle fields
With wounds that fester and bleed
But never heal

Chorus:
Yeah love and happiness
Have forgotten our names
And there´s no value left
In love and happiness

And love and happiness
Yeah love and happiness
Have forgotten our names
And there´s no value left
In love and happiness

No comments: