Monday, October 09, 2006

I'm sad, but I'm laughing

I woke up Saturday morning. Early. Clayton woke me up at 6:30 ready to go downstairs and eat cereal and play. And so we did. We went downstairs. But I told him that I needed to watch the news at 7am. And when I turned it on, I was deeply saddened to learn of the death of Buck O’Neil. A true legend. An icon. For the sport of baseball, to the city of Kansas City. Buck did a lot for the great game of baseball. Was an instrumental part of the Negro League. Won batting titles. Was a great coach and scout. Was truly on of the most influential forces behind getting the Negro League Baseball Museum turned into a reality. And if you’re ever in Kansas City, you must go to this museum. It’s truly an awesome thing.


Buck isn’t in the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. There’s much debate around this fact. The last time, he missed induction by one vote. That, my friends, is sad. Sad that the man that did so much for the game. And broke color barriers, isn’t forever immortalized in the Hall of Fame. I think one day he will be. But I fear that it will be because he’s “some old dead guy” who played long, long ago and not because of what he did.


I had the opportunity to meet Buck. He was celebrating his 91st birthday. At “his” museum. There was cake. There was celebration. He was signing baseballs. He took the time to talk to every person in that line to get their baseball signed. He will truly be missed.


So, read this … it relates to the title of my post. Don’t be sad because Buck is gone. Celebrate his life. Celebrate the good he did. Celebrate the fact that the world was a better place for having had Buck O’Neil in it.

No comments: