Fridays. Rain and civic duty
Today is Friday. Which means one more day of rain. At least we can hope it’s just one more day of rain. It has rained, and/or stormed every day since last weekend, I believe. We needed the rain, but no more! Stop already.
Yesterday I was called to perform my civic service – Jury Duty .. now it wasn’t regular jury duty, it was for Grand Jury duty. What does this entail? Well I didn’t know. I sat, got my number, went up to the court room, and waited .. sat around, listened to the questions that the prosecutors asked. And then we learned our fate .. there were 76 people. They were to pick 12 jurors and 6 alternates. They called the 12 names of the jurors, and I wasn’t called .. and then the judge started reading the names of the alternates, and there I was. The first alternate called. A Grand Jury serves a term of 6 months. They meet twice a month for 6 months. Being an alternate, I may, or may not, have to be there every time, depending on who is, or is not there from the regular jury. But the prosecutor chick said that alternates usually are there for at least 2 or 3 sessions. Now we all know from watching Law & Order (and admit it, you’ve seen at least an episode or two, I mean come on the show’s been on for like 15 years) … that the Grand Jury’s duty is to decide if a case has enough evidence to bring it to trial. IT could be interesting, at the very least. The prosecutor told us that Grand Jury service is one of the most rewarding things we’d ever go through. That will remain to be seen.
1 comment:
Eek! Jury Duty :( Hope it goes alright!!! Hope the rains stops for ya this weekend. :D
Post a Comment