Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Music soothes the soul

I had all these profound things to say when I was lying in bed last night, but right now, I can't remember a single one of them .. but I'm going to try. It was about music, and how music (and smells) are two things that can really take you back to a specific time. I was listening to my mp3 player last night, and almost all of the songs that came up, brought be back to a specific time .. I've never been a big Van Halen fan, but my ex-husband was the biggest Van Halen fan there was, so through him I started listening more and more and more ... you know how relationships do that? Make you appreciate things that you didn't have an appreciation of before? I have an ex-boyfriend who got his undergrad degree from Nebraska, and in the years we dated, I became a big Nebraska football fan .. of course that was when they were good, but still I always have to see if Nebraska lost or won -- just in football ... basketabll it's KU all the way baby, especially since both of my brothers are currently attending KU, but back to the subject at hand, music. So last night, I'm in bed, and all this Van Halen music kept coming up, and two songs in particular that I listened to over, and over, and over right after Rob left, before we filed for divorce, but when he was gone .. I can't stop loving you & Love Walks in .. they were on there .. one of the songs that came up was my wedding song, To Make you Feel my Love .. and that alwasys makes me cry and always makes me think of my first dance as husband and wife with my ex-husband, and how for one moment in time EVERYTHING was so perfect .. but then there was also Bon Jovi songs off the Keep The Faith album, which always take me back to college, and from Slippery When Wet, that always take me back to jr. high and high school ... and even though the song pre-dates the memory, listening to Carry On by Kansas will always remind me of one year at church camp (No american pie jokes please) ... that was like our 'theme song' and it was played over, and over through the week ... I also have distinct memories of sitting in my parents beige Pinto Station Waggon (OK it was the 70's!) and listening to the Hotel California album on 8-track .... what songs bring you back?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love music :) It's my constant companion. Love Me Tender is a song that always bring a smile to my face. When I was just little my dad bought me a red heartshaped music box and that's the song it played :) I still have it!

Anonymous said...

I think for me, there are a lot of songs that remind me of someone, something or somewhere. My dad used to play DJ when I was younger while my parents were still together, all of those 70's tunes still run through my veins, even if I am not a "fan". In fact not too long ago my boyfriend pulled out CD's and was playing them for me, they happened to be those 70's tunes that instantly reminded me of that time. Back when everything was ok. It brought a smile to my face and will always. Music is so important. I believe that the more we remember, the happier we will be, even if it is just the little things... like a quick note on the MP3 player that makes us smile. Good post! LOVE IT... I may have to run with it on my blog ;)