Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The buck doesn't stop here

Well, Buck O'Neil didn't make it into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Which is sad. He is more than fitting, and most (if not all) of the negro-leagues players that have made it in may not have made it without the support through the years of Buck. I've had the pleasure of hearing this man speak several times and he is a true gem. Well spoken, eloquent, funny. Maybe as a player his stats didn't warrant induction, but what he did for the sport, and the color barriers he broke, especially being the first black major league coach, speak volumes. Classy as always, Buck took it well. His thoughts on not making it?

“I’m still Buck,” he said. “Look at me. I’ve lived a good life. I’m still living a good life. Nothing has changed for me.”

The man is 92 years old. A true legend, not just in Kansas City, where he pretty much single handidly started the Negro Leagues Museum (which if you're even in Kansas City, is SO worth checking out), but also throughout baseball.

Read this column. Very well written.

We still love you buck!

No comments: