My Dad
My Dad is currently helping out with the aftermath of katrina. He's not working for the Red Cross, or any other agency like that ... he drives a tour bus on the wekeends. It's his "play" job and he loves it. I guess Wednesday the bus company called him (it's a smallish-local company) ... and asked if he wanted to go to New Orleans to help bus people out. After talking with HR at his full-time job (the same company I work for) he decided to go. They sent 2 buses with 2 drivers per bus. He arrived in New Orleans yesterday early afternoon. He was in a "staging" area most of the afternoon yesterday, and finally around 7 or 8 he left New Orleans with a bus full of people headed to Houston. He arrived in Houston around 11 last night, and when my Mom talked to him this morning around 7, he was still sitting in a line of busses at the Astrodome waiting to drop people off. Apparently they were amoung the last busses to arrive that would be allowed to leave people at the Astrodome. He'll be doing continous loops from New Orleans to wherever (now maybe Dallas or San Antonio) for the next week. He said that the people were initially belligerant when they got on the bus, but that they calmed down, and mellowed out a lot on the trip. I guess at one point they stopped at a McDonalds, or something, and one of the people brought my Dad a sandwich, and he tried to pay the person for it, but told my dad that he was doing more than enough and that the sandwich was on him.
1 comment:
Wow, kudos to you and your dad. I wish I could be there to help. Hugs to both of you for what you are doing.
Post a Comment