Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The problems plain to see, too much technology. Machines to save our lives, machines dehumanize

A little technology meme, if you will. . .

Do you remember when you saw your first computer? When did you actually use one? What about having your own? Do you own a laptop? (PC or Mac?) Have you gone wireless at home yet?I was the proud owner of a vic 20 (predecessor to a commodore 64), also, I went to “computer camp”, in 1989. We used Apple II e’s. I currently have a Toshiba laptop, it's broken. I'm thinking about buying a gateway. Circuit City has a great deal on one this week.

2. When did you first go online and/or use email? Who did you email back then? How did the internet change your life? When did you discover blogging? What about your home internet connection - is it dial-up, DSL, cable?1991 when I first went to college we had inter-campus e-mail, and other e-mail and other bbs-ing capabilities and stuff like that. It was interesting and led me to come cool people.I started my blog last summer. Even though no one really reads it.

3. Do you remember your first VCR? What about a video camera (there were some bulky ones back in the 80s and 90s) and home videos?I remember the first VCR my parents bought. I don’t remember the year, but I was in 5th grade? I think.

4. When did you switch from VCR to DVD? How did it change your video viewing experience? Do you use TiVo or any such "contraption" to tape TV shows? Do you use Netflix or some other internet-based DVD "renting" service?Switched to DVD awhile ago. I have netflix, got a gift subscription for Christmas and I absolutely LOVE it. I have no TiVo. If I miss a show, I miss it.

5. What about music? Did you enjoy listening favorite music in Long Plays or did you prefer cassette tapes? When did you buy your fist CD player and switched to CDs? Did you abandon them (and turned to downloaded music) for MP3 players or Ipods or do you still buy CDs?I had a few LPs. I had John Cougar’s “American Fool” on LP along with Toto IV, and remember receiving Lionel Richie’s “Dancing on the Ceiling” for my birthday in 6th grade from Shelley Sarson. I also had many, many tapes (I don’t want to think about how many copies of “Slippery When Wet” I wore out. Oh, I also have distinct memories of listening to “Hotel California” on 8-track in my parents ugly brown pinto station wagon. I hardly ever buy CD’s anymore. Haven’t since a miserable ex-boyfriend stole about 200+ CD’s 5 or 6 years ago. I am the proud owner of an ipod now and I LOVE it.6

. Do you own and use a cell phone? Do you think it's useful or just annoying?(Did you always have a telephone in your house growing up? Did you have a phone in your own room?)I have a cell phone. In fact, I have no land-line, just my cell phone. Always had a phone in my house growing up. Didn’t always have a phone in my room, but I did, although not my own phone line.

7. When did you first buy a digital camera? What kind was it (3.2, 4.0, 5.0 mega-pixels or better)? Did you start taking more pictures or were you a photo aficionado before then? What about a digital video camera?I don’t remember my first digital camera, but I’m much more of a film gal. I have a non-digital Rebel. I also have a Kodak Digital camera I got for Christmas that I absolutely love. It's 6.3 mega-pixels, I think.

8. What about televisions? Have you already embraced the new technologies, such as HDTV, plasma, and flat screen? (On the other hand, you wouldn't remember black & white TVs, would you?)I do remember black and white TVs, but for now, I’m still watching TV on the same 19 inch plain old color TV I got for a High School graduation gift 15 years ago.

No comments: